By 1891 the size of the vintage had grown to 182,000 litres, 3/4 of which was high quality dry red, mainly shiraz, for export markets. In 1898, Edward's sons Charles and Leslie entered into a partnership with their father each holding a quarter share of the business. Charles was appointed manager, a position he held until 1902 when he left to start his own business.
Leslie succeeded his brother and separated the winemaking operations from the viticulture and focussed on red wine production for export. The quality was good and the Saltram wines received a number of awards abroad.
Leslie Salter had been educated at Roseworthy College and became a close friend of Ronald Martin of ‘Stonyfell’. Martin bought a third share of W Salter & Son in 1920 assuming the role of Chairman of Directors. When Leslie Salter resigned as Managing Director in 1937, Saltram vineyard was managed by H.M Martin of Stonyfell and in 1941 it became a wholly owned subsidiary of Martin's. The two operations worked in tandem with winemaking being performed at Saltram and Stonyfell being used for maturation and bottling.